Assistant Vice President, Communication and Public Affairs (Ottawa)Release Date: 09/27/2018 Staff Reference: clhia careers
The Canadian Life and Health Insurance Association (CLHIA), the national trade association representing companies that account for 99% of Canada's life and health insurance business, has an opening for an Assistant Vice President (AVP), Communication and Public Affairs in its Ottawa office.
Reporting to the Vice President, Government Relations and Policy, the AVP, Communication and Public Affairs contributes to the Association’s advocacy efforts to advance the industry’s interests with governments and regulators and other industry stakeholders and the CLHIA’s efforts to enhance the reputation of the life and health insurance industry by planning, developing and executing strategic communications and media relations programs. The AVP, Communication and Public Affairs also contributes to member education by overseeing certain aspects of the CLHIA’s corporate conferences and event programs.
The AVP, Communication and Public Affairs is responsible for the following:
- Providing strategic direction and leadership for CLHIA’s internal and external communications which includes ensuring consistent messaging across the CLHIA; providing advice/expertise to plan and implement innovative communication approaches including use of website, social media, presentation and media; and overseeing the development and production of corporate communication materials to ensure timely and comprehensive communication of the industry’s priorities.
- Working closely with the Government Relations team to ensure responsive issues management to reduce reputational risk to the industry and CLHIA.
- Maintaining a Reputation Management Network with the industry in order to identify critical issues to be communicated and, with the assistance of appropriate internal staff, crafting key messages and strategies to effectively communicate information and inform members on how CLHIA is responding to issues in the media.
- Managing media relations activities for the CLHIA including acting as spokesperson, where appropriate, and by working with identified internal spokespersons at CLHIA, providing training and support as necessary, to develop and refine messages and content for the media.
- Overseeing the operation of CLHIA’s Translation Services to ensure effective communications in both official languages and that quality translation services are provided and delivery expectations are met.
- Developing a long-term strategic plan for CLHIA’s on-line and social media presence to support communications messaging with members, other stakeholders and the public.
- Contributing to member education by overseeing budgeting and overall management of the CLHIA’s annual conference program and other meetings, including oversight of meeting planning consultants, maintenance of event planning policies and procedures and ensuring contracts for services (i.e. hotels and other meeting venues) are ready for signature.
- Managing and developing division staff.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience and Personal Attributes
- University degree in a related field (e.g., Communications, Public Relations, Journalism) and at least 5 years of related experience at a senior level.
- Management and supervisory experience; ability to oversee administrative matters including knowledge of budgeting and contracts.
- Proven knowledge of and experience with social media and campaign development to support industry advocacy.
- Superior oral and written communication skills, including editing and proofreading skills.
- Ability to communicate and brief senior management and stakeholders and prepare written or presentation materials for a wide variety of audiences.
- Strong problem solving and strategic skills; can identify key issues and understand the implications for the industry.
- Ability to represent the industry and the CLHIA.
- Demonstrated strength in interpersonal relations and relationship building skills/the ability to establish effective working relationships with members and other stakeholders; team player who can support organizational goals.
- Track record of success; proactive self-starter who is able to drive results and to effectively lead and work with a variety of staff at all levels as well as with suppliers/consultants.
- Excellent organizational skills; customer service focus; balanced, mature judgement.
- Proficiency with MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and knowledge of digital platforms and graphic design trends.
- Willingness to travel on occasion.
- Broad knowledge of the life and health insurance industry.
- Knowledge of the financial services sector and issues of concern to the life and health insurance industry.
- Bilingual (English/French) or the ability to communicate (read/speak French).
How to Apply
We offer competitive compensation and a professional work environment. Interested candidates are invited to email a résumé and cover letter indicating “AVP, Communication and Public Affairs” in the subject line, in confidence to:
Director Human Resources
Click here to send an email
CLHIA is committed to ensuring fair and inclusive employment practices. On request, we provide accommodation for applicants with disabilities in accordance with the requirements of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005. If you require accommodation, please advise us. We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.